In this episode I go through some necessary information on obesity, I talk in more detail about classifications and obesity Staging System – tools by which health practitioners assess obesity. But I mainly focus on a second topic – the obesity epidemic, and statistical overview that defines it.
I must apologise for the sound of my voice, which is caused by a sour throat and a mild cold.
And I also recognised one particular mistake: Percentage of the obese population of individual Asian countries that I listed at the end of this episode should be “less than ten percent”, instead of “less than five percent”. I beg your pardon.
Hopefully, the episode wasn’t dull even though it revolves around numbers and stats.
Thank you for your time.
Have a fantastic day.
- A proposed clinical staging system for obesity: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19188927
- Influence of Physical Activity and Nutrition on Obesity-Related Immune Function: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3842061/
- WHO – Obesity stats: http://www.who.int/gho/ncd/risk_factors/obesity_text/en/
- Facts and figures on childhood obesity: http://www.who.int/end-childhood-obesity/facts/en/
- Global prevalence and trends of overweight and obesity among preschool children: http://www.who.int/nutgrowthdb/publications/overweight_obesity/en/
- Global, regional, and national prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adults during 1980–2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673614604608
- United States obesity survey: NHANES 2015/16. Analysis conducted by the World Obesity Federation, Caroline Litts, Fiona Montague & R Jackson-Leach 2017
- Mexico obesity survey: ENSANUT 2012 http://ensanut.insp.mx/informes/ENSANUT2012ResultadosNacionales.pdf
- New Zealand Health Survey 2015-2016. Available at: http://www.health.govt.nz/publication/annual-update-key-results-2015-16-new-zealand-health-survey
- Australian National Health Survey, 2014-15 First Results. Australian Bureau of Statistics. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/4364.0.55.001Appendix22014-15?opendocument&tabname=Notes&prodno=4364.0.55.001&issue=2014-15&num=&view=
- Chile obesity survey: http://www.encuestasalud.cl/ens/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/InformeENS_2009-2010_CAP1.pdf
- Hungary obesity survey: Rurik I, Torzsa P, Szidor J, et al. A public health threat in Hungary: obesity, 2013. BMC Public Health. 2014;14:798. doi:10.1186/1471-2458-14-798
- Canada obesity survey: Shields M, Tremblay MS, Laviolette M, Craig C, Janssen I and Connor Gorber S. Fitness of Canadian adults: Results from the 2007-2009 Canadian Health Measures Survey. Statistics Canada, Catalogue no. 82-003-XPE • Health Reports, Vol. 21, no. 1, March 2010
- France obesity survey: http://invs.santepubliquefrance.fr/beh/2017/13/pdf/2017_13_1.pdf
- Obesity and socioeconomic status in developing countries: a systematic review: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3798095/
- Obesity and Socioeconomic Status in Children and Adolescents: United States, 2005-2008. NCHS Data Brief. Number 51: https://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED530165
- NHANES South Africa http://www.hsrc.ac.za/en/research-outputs/view/6493
- Obesity survey Algeria: Atek M, Traissac P, El Ati J, et al. Obesity and association with area of residence, gender and socio-economic factors in Algerian and Tunisian adults. PLoS One. 2013 Oct 8;8(10):e75640. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0075640. eCollection 2013
- Mauritania STEPS Survey 2006
- Morocco survey: Rhazi K El, Nejjari C, Zidouh A et al. Prevalence of obesity and associated sociodemographic and lifestyle factors in Morocco. Public Health Nutrition 2010:14(1)160-167
- Tunisia survey: El Ati J, Traissac P, Delpeuch F, Aounallah-Skhiri H, Béji C, et al. (2012) Gender Obesity Inequities Are Huge but Differ Greatly According to Environment and Socio-Economics in a North African Setting: A National Cross-Sectional Study in Tunisia. PLoS ONE 7(10): e48153. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0048153
- DHS Egypt 2015. Ministry of Health and Population/Egypt, El-Zanaty and Associates/Egypt, and ICF International. 2015. Egypt Health Issues Survey 2015. Cairo, Egypt: Ministry of Health and Population/Egypt and ICF International. – See more at: http://dhsprogram.com/publications/publication-FR313-DHS-Final-Reports.cfm#sthash.StgV9s6X.dpuf
- Demographic Health Survey Azerbaijan 2006
- Global gender disparities in obesity: a review: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22797984
- WHO STEPS Qatar 2012 Fact Sheet
- Kuwait STEPS Survey 2014
- USA Obesity survey: NHANES 2015/16. Analysis conducted by the World Obesity Federation, Caroline Litts, Fiona Montague & R Jackson-Leach 2017
- Health Survey for England 2015. Available at: http://content.digital.nhs.uk/searchcatalogue?productid=23711&returnid=1685
- Korea: Obesity survey: Kim YJ, Lee JS, Park J, et al. ‘Trends in socioeconomic inequalities in five major risk factors for cardiovascular disease in the Korean population: a cross-sectional study using data from the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2001–2014’ BMJ Open 2017;7:e014070. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2016-014070
- Italy stats: The Cardiovascular Epidemiological Observatory (OEC) Survey. http://www.cuore.iss.it/fattori/progetto.asp
- Spain survey: Aranceta-Bartrina, J. et al. (2016) ‘Prevalence of General Obesity and Abdominal Obesity in the Spanish Adult Population (Aged 25-64 Years) 2014-2015: The ENPE Study’, Rev Esp Cardiol (Engl Ed), 69(6), pp. 579-87. doi: 10.1016/j.rec.2016.02.009. Epub 2016 Apr 26
- Hungary survey: Rurik I, Torzsa P, Szidor J, et al. A public health threat in Hungary: obesity, 2013. BMC Public Health. 2014;14:798. doi:10.1186/1471-2458-14-798.
- Romania survey: Popa S, Mota M, Popa A et al . Prevalence of overweight/obesity, abdominal obesity and metabolic syndrome and atypical cardiometabolic phenotypes in the adult Romanian population: PREDATORR study. J Endocrinol Invest DOI 10.1007/s40618-016-0470-4
- Cook Islands STEP Survey 2004
- Nauru survey: Keke K, Phongsavan P, Dan L, Bacigalupo M, Thoma R, Riley L, Waidubu G, Galea G, Pryor J, Raj S and Chey T. (2007). Nauru NCD risk factors STEPS report. WHO Infobase.
- Japan survey: OECD (2015), Overweight or obese population (indicator). doi: 10.1787/86583552-en
- Indonesia survey: Riskesdas 2013. Reanalysis: Atmarita, National Institute of Health Research and Development/NIHRD, MOH of Indonesia.
- India survey: Tripathy JP, Thakur JS, Jeet G, Chawla S, Jain S, Prasad R. Urban rural differences in diet, physical activity and obesity in India: are we witnessing the great Indian equalisation? Results from a cross-sectional STEPS survey. BMC Public Health. 2016;16:816. doi:10.1186/s12889-016-3489-8.
- Demographic Health Survey, Ethiopia 2016